The story starts here

Welcome to McCune & Cousins: Southern Roots & Front Porch Stories!

After 20 years of genealogy research, I’m going modern with an online blog to share stories of our family ancestors. They are real life stories – enlightening, sad, funny, heart-warming and gut-wrenching. They inform and shape who our family members are today. They make us think and point us toward our future. They are people like us, who do good things and make mistakes. I explore their lives with compassion and humility. In our life journeys, we just do the best we know how!

McCune, Bill and Mable,  50th Wedding Anniversary, Columbus, GA,  3
Willie H. and Mable (Cousins) McCune, 50th Wedding Anniversary, 1969 Columbus, GA

I’m writing as a grandchild of Willie Herschell “Bill” McCune (13 Jan 1899? – 11 December 1976) and Fannie Mable Cousins (4 Sept 1899 – 1 Sept 1983). If I refer to great-grandparents in a story and you are the son or daughter of one of Bill and Mable’s 13 grandchildren, the ancestors would be your great-great-grandparents. My goal is to post on the blog every Monday and Thursday. Sign up in the right hand sidebar for email notification of new postings.

Even though I’m an amateur genealogist, accurate facts are extremely important as I research and cite sources for our family tree. That doesn’t mean I don’t make mistakes, so if you see something that you question, please let me know.

Postings will primarily be about our grandparents and ancestors up the family tree. If you have stories, photos, memories or comments that you’d like to share, I’d love to get them!

Looking to the past to enlighten the future. Happy reading!

Next post – Who are you, Carrie Tillman McCune?

8 Comments

1. Anna Wilson said:

Excited to see what’s to come!

January 31, 2016
  2. Julie Jones said:

Looking forward to reading more about our family history. Thank you for the long hours you have put into this project and for sharing all you have learned.

January 31, 2016
  3. Rodney Byard said:

Christine, thank you so much for your work and sharing with us. Looking forward to reading everything!

February 1, 2016
  4. Janice Lott said:

Thank you so much, Christine! This will be much better than a novel because it’s about OUR family!

February 1, 2016
  5. Jan Dykes said:

Thank you for all of your hard work Christine. I can’t wait to read more!

February 2, 2016
  6. Christine Ellington said:

Thanks to all for leaving comments! Looking forward to sharing more!

February 2, 2016
  7. Karon Duderewicz said:

Thank you so much Christine, I am looking forward to all the reading to come!! I know you have spent many hours doing research and I certainly appreciate it.

February 2, 2016
  8. Jim McCune said:

Wow Christine! Great job on the site! Lots of research and hard work I am sure but I am so glad that you are getting this together for everyone. Is there a way to upload images to share? Also, do you have the “Kidd-Carlton Family Record” book? I found a copy 1970 edition. I remember Aunt Evelyn taking updates at a family reunion in Columbus (James Richards church) in the mid 1990’s. Also, is the front porch image your front porch?

February 6, 2016